Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old Mom

My niece took these pictures of my parents at our family reunion this week. I love the 5 o'clock shadow on my dads face, I love the grey hair. I love the always-present pen in his pocket.

I decided that I wanted a picture of just my mom because she never lets us take pictures of her. So I cropped my dad out of one of the pictures. I don't know how to describe the feeling that came over me when I saw this picture of my mom.




Without any other interruption in the picture...I can see my mom again. I haven't seen that mom in quite a few years. The mom I have now isn't the same mom I grew up with. She is always in a state of confusion and rarely knows my name. But in this picture I can see her and she is the same mom who took me to Taco Time on Wednesdays. She is the same mom I watched "The A-Team" and "MacGeyver" with. The mom who taught me to cook. It is hard for me to accept this new mom who doesn't even know who I am.
But I love her face. I love every wrinkle.It is the face of my old mom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. There is just something about the memories we have of our moms.

From the Dog House said...

Melissa, thank you for saying what was in my heart. As I read your post,I'm blubbering like an idiot. I'm glad no one else is in the room. Thank you for your way of expressing how we all must feel.

Aim said...

Love you Meliss, this was so tender. Thanks for sharing.

Janet Kahn said...

Beautiful post Melissa...you said what I've been feeling about my own mom right now. With this cancer she doesn't look the same and her mind is not there and it's so hard!

ljdoelling gang said...

Love the post. It was great to be together. I love it when you get sentimental. It is so sweet.